Print

History: Church of Our Lady of Vailankanni, Old Town, Bhadravathi.

 

Church of Our Lady of Vailankanni was a beautiful Church with a RCC roof and mosaic flooring and capable of accommodating 1000 people, was raised with the care of Rev. Fr Jerome F Fernandes, parish priest of Bhadravthi, and blessed by Most Rev. Alphonse Mathias on 05-02-1982. It was elevated to the category of an independent parish on 15-05-1984 carved out like the St Joseph the Worker’s from the Mary Immaculate parish, Now Town. It comprised Karehalli, Mavinakere, Sugar Farm, Kudligere, Holehonnur, and Nirmalapura.

The Parish counts on its rolls about 1000 Catholics. The parish, by the way, is not in the industrial area but in the Municipal area. It is made up mostly of economically poor Catholics. The Church is destined to a shrine in honour of Our Lady of Vailankanni. It is erected on a one and half acre of Land. In 1986, the entire site was enclosed by means of a compound brick wall due to the munificence of Mr Jeremiah Rosaiah, a protestant of Bhadravthi, in thanksgiving to Our Lady. Fr S R Peter Arul was the parish priest at that time.

Just within half a km distance from the church there was a “Holy Cross Hillock” acquired by Fr S R Peter for the Church. At 18 feet high concrete cross was planted on it in 1985. In the following year 13 concrete crosses each six feet high were raised in order to help people to make the way of the Cross which is held on 5th Sunday of Lent, followed by Holy Mass. Faithful from Bhadravthi, Karehalli, Mavinakere even from Shimoga were coming to attend this holy spiritual activities.

Address:
Old Town (1982): Church Our Lady of Vailankanni
Gandhi Nagar, Old Town, Bhadravathi - 577 301
Shimoga District
Tel: 08282 - 261126
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Families: 192 Catholics: 715